Less than 48 hours after the Han Solo movie lost its directors, a replacement has been found in the form of Ron Howard.
Phil Lord and Chris Miller, who were hired back in 2015, were reportedly fired from the project earlier this week, with creative differences being cited.
With the movie having been shooting for months, Lucasfilm needed to act quickly to find a replacement, with around three weeks of production said to be left. Howard’s name was mentioned in the initial reports as a contender, and now it has been confirmed. Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy said in a statement:
“At Lucasfilm, we believe the highest goal of each film is to delight, carrying forward the spirit of the saga that George Lucas began forty years ago. With that in mind, we’re thrilled to announce that Ron Howard will step in to direct the untitled Han Solo film. We have a wonderful script, an incredible cast and crew, and the absolute commitment to make a great movie. Filming will resume the 10th of July.”
With such little time it needed an established safe pair of hands to come in and take the reigns, rather than anyone more in the exciting youngsters mould of Lord & Miller, and Howard certainly fits the bill.
Having made the likes of Rush, Apollo 13, and A Beautiful Mind, he’s a well-established filmmaker who should do a fine job overseeing production from this point, even if it isn’t as exciting as The LEGO Movie directors.
THR reports that he’ll meet with the actors soon, to smooth things out on a rattled set, and to go over what they’ve got and what more the film needs.
As it stands, the movie is still currently scheduled for release on May 25, 2018.
Are you happy with the choice of Ron Howard? Let us know down in the comments.